Monday, February 16, 2009

That's Right You're Not From Texas - Lyle Lovett

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMhaehb5AnE


Lyle Lovett apparently wrote this song in the midst of his short-lived relationship with Julia Roberts. My evidence for this is the following lines in the song:

See I was born and raised in Texas
And it means so much to me

Though my girl comes from down in Georgia

We were up in Tennessee


We all know Julia is from Smyrna, Georgia, right? The album Road from Ensenada was released in 1996 -- it is widely thought to include songs about the remnants of their 1993-1995 marriage.

After the chorus he sings:
Oh the road it looked so lovely
As she stood there on the side
And she grew smaller in my mirror

As I watched her wave goodbye


Bye bye Lyle, with the big hair, and the crooked face and the quirky music.

Got me thinking, on this Oscar weekend, about other strange and doomed famous couples. Here are some I came up with:
Drew Barrymore and Tom Green
Marilyn Monroe and Arthur Miller
Mike Tyson and Monica Turner
and of course
Michael Jackson and anyone

And then, lo and behold, I found that there is actually a little online game on iVillage for people who really are into this.

Anyone got favorites to throw out?

No comments: